Hello everyone!!! I’ve been gone for a while just trying to learn how to adult. I thought by (almost) 25 I would have it a little more together in life yet I still feel like the same mess of a college kid who is now getting more responsibility. Not quite sure why someone trusts me more now than I dunno 11 months ago but here we are.
Anyway through my rigorous journey of learning to be an adult I’ve been quite shocked. I went to the store to get some olive oil because I am attempting to learn to cook and shock of adulthood #1: OLIVE OIL IS EXPENSIVE!!! Did everyone know how expensive that stuff is? I now get why adults are always stressed about money. Olive oil is barely an ingredient it just makes my food not stick to the pan and yet its more expensive then the dang food.
Well I moved on and was going about my life and a few days later someone asked me about my birthday. My birthday is always over the summer (August 3rd) so I’ve never had responsibilities and I could do whatever I wanted on my day. As I was explaining all my plans someone said “isn’t it a Monday though, don’t you have work?” WORK ON MY BIRTHDAY? WHAT! Shock of adulthood #2: I now have to work on my birthday. I knew everyone else did but I never realized it applied to me as well.
So now I began a downward spiral and needed to know if I was just naive or my other new adult friends were also shocked about the adult life so I made some polls and began my research and let me tell you.. I WAS NOT ALONE.
Below is a list created by my friends of all the things that shocked them over the last few months in the abrupt transition of becoming an adult human….
- Food is EXPENSIVE: almond butter, nuts, and Eggo waffles to be exact.
Toilet paper, vitamins, and medicine are also expensive.
- Grocery shopping is an activity chosen for fun…
- It’s a luxury to have an in-unit washer and dryer
- Comic Sans is not an appropriate font to use
- You have to work all year around… there is no such thing as a winter or summer vacation
- Your bills aren’t actually due on the 1st of the month
Also you get billed for storm water? … what?
- You don’t need a special occasion to buy a cake… childhood was a lie.
- Why SO MANY insurances???
- Duvet covers and fitted sheets are DIF-I-CULT
- Taxes. Just taxes. Why do you take so much of my paycheck?
- It’s frowned upon to get drunk a weekday… still confused by this one
- Most people lack common sense… LOL
- Making friends is hard… and finding dates… and socializing…
- My personal favorite: You’re not actually an adult until you’re 30
Being an adult just doesn’t make much sense. Like why is everything we learned as a child not applicable anymore? I dunno but everyday I find something else that shocks me. Comment what else shocked you so I can be prepared please and thank you.